National Informatics Centre, Kullu
National Informatics Centre (NIC) of the Department of Information Technology, Ministry of Communication and Information Technology, Government of India is providing network backbone and e-Governance support to Central Government, State Governments, UT Administrations, Districts and other Government bodies. It offers a wide range of ICT (Information & Communications Technology) services including Nationwide Communication Network for decentralized planning, improvement in Government services and wider transparency of national and local Governments. NIC assists in implementing Information Technology Projects, in close collaboration with Central and State Governments, in the areas of
- Centrally sponsored schemes and Central sector schemes
- State sector and State sponsored projects, and
- District Administration sponsored projects.
NIC endeavors to ensure that the latest technology in all areas of IT is available to its users. There are two NIC officers posted at district level. The senior one officiates as District Informatics Officer-DIO and other one as Additional District Informatics Officer-ADIO. Both are from scientific cedar of Government of India. Various services provided by NIC in the district Kullu are as follows:
1. NICNET Services
- Telnet, FTP and Remote Login facilities for Data Transmissions between District to State and to Centre e.g. the Market Rates for essential commodities on daily, weekly and monthly basis for the Food & Supplies Deptt., Daily Stock Position for the Food Corporation of India, Daily Netcash Outgo from District Treasuries to the Finance Deptt., Monthly progress data for Health Deptt. etc.
- Remote Databases Access is made available on NICNET to the prospective users at District Informatics Centre (DIC) e.g. Medical databases through MEDLARS, Supreme Court’s List of Business through COURTNIC, Supreme Court’s Caselaw through JUDIS etc.
- The NICNET is also having a Gateway to INTERNET. Therefore, the following services like internet access and email are also available on NICNET to various departments.
2. Application Software Support
- Standard Office Automation Software: These software are made available at the NIC Centre in the Local Area Network for carrying out routine office automation activities e.g. Word Processing, Electronics Spreadsheet, Electronic Mailing (E-mail) etc.
- Customized Office Automation Software: These are the software developed by NIC H.P. State Unit and District Units for specific type of office automation activities common to all the Departments e.g. Payroll Processing, Telephone Directory, References Monitoring System, Personnel Information System, Departmental Budget MIS, DDOs Accounting System, Vehicles Expenditure Monitoring System etc.
- Department Specific Software: These include Studying, Designing, Developing necessary Software and Implementing the computerised Management Information Systems for various Government Departments, as per the requirement of Database building for Planning, Controlling, Monitoring and/or Decision Support purposes. These exercises are taken-up as Projects by NIC, which may be sub-categorized further, as follows:
- Centre Initiated Projects: These are the projects initiated at the NIC Headquarters level and coordinated by the State Units for implementation at State/District level. These projects also include advising the concerned user department for necessary Site preparations, coordinating hardware installation, implementation application software, imparting users training etc. Some of the major projects in this category are H.P. High Courts, H.P. Vidhan Sabha, District Courts, Postal Life Insurance, Rural Development Department (CRISP) etc. Some of these projects requires coordination for one time bulk data entry also e.g. SSI Census, Population Census, Agricultural Census, All India Educational Survey, Drinking Water Survey, Minor Irrigation Census, Co-Operative Statistics etc.. In some of such projects, the software received from the Centre is required to be tailored also as per the local demands.
- State Initiated Projects: These are the projects in which the systems for computerization have been studied, designed, software developed and implemented entirely by the NIC H.P. State Unit on the behest of the State Govt.. This category also includes the projects initiated Centrally but studied, designed and developed at the State level. In some of such projects, consultancy for hardware procurement, installation, Site preparation etc. has also been provided. Some of the Departments for which the projects have been undertaken by NIC H.P. are Finance, Planning, Excise & Taxation, Food & Supplies, Transport, Health, Welfare, Rural Development, H.P. Secretariat, Land Records, State Consumer Commission, Secondary Education, District Treasuries, District Collectorate etc.
- District Initiated Projects: These are the projects in which the systems for computerization have been studied, designed, software developed and implemented entirely by the NIC District Units on the behest of the District Administration and on the instruction of NIC H.P. State Unit. Some of the Departments for which the projects have been undertaken by NIC H.P. are Finance, Planning, Excise & Taxation, Food & Supplies, Transport, Health, Welfare, Rural Development, H.P. Secretariat, Land Records, State Consumer Commission, Secondary Education, District Treasuries, District Collectorate etc.
3. Technical Consultancy:
Besides the above mentioned services, the NIC Kullu has also been extending various other consultancy services to the various departments of the district from time to time, as follows:
- NIC has also been functioning as the E-Governance wing of the Department of Information-Technology, H.P. Govt., therefore, advising the State Govt. Departments in working out the hardware/software requirements for their computerisation activities, and preparing detailed proposals thereof etc.
- Designing presentations of information required during meetings of District Administration.